Nutrient Packed Vegan Mac & Cheese
This Vegan Mac & Cheese is a mouthwatering plant based twist on a classic comfort food. It will not only satisfy your cravings but also offers a wide array of nutrients. Would you believe me if I told you the base of this sauce is made from potatoes and carrots? Stay with me here! We add nutritional yeast for a cheesy flavour without the need for dairy. Whole grain or gluten-free pasta options offer fibre and complex carbohydrates, keeping you feeling fuller for longer. We went with gluten free penne! Feel free to add broccoli or peas for added nutrients!
Yield: 4 Portions
Time: 20 Minutes
- 4 Medium White Potatoes (chopped)
- 3 Carrots (peeled and chopped)
- 3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 Onion (chopped)
- 1/2 Cup Cremini Mushrooms (chopped)
- 1 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Pepper
- 1/4 Teaspoon Sage Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Ginger Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Turmeric
- 1/4 Cup Nutritional Yeast
- Add carrots and potatoes to a pot of boiling water and boil until soft. Strain and add to a blender.
- Sauté onion and mushrooms in a pan with olive oil with the sage, and just a pinch of garlic, salt, and pepper. Cook until onions are translucent, then add to blender.
- Add the rest of the garlic, salt, pepper, ginger, turmeric, and nutritional yeast to the blender with a 1/2 cup of water and blend. Be sure that the mixture isn't too hot or you might end up with an exploding blender!
- Mix your cheese sauce in with noodles and enjoy!
Curious about incorporating turmeric into your diet?
Turmeric is known to have anti-inflammatory properties, antioxidant properties which protect the body's cells from damage caused by free radicals, playing a crucial role in maintaining overall health and preventing chronic diseases, may play a role in cancer prevention, enhances brain health, improves digestion, and increases cardiovascular health.